Pieris Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: PIRS) is a publicly-traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company with operations in Germany and the United States. Pieris specializes in the discovery and development of Anticalin® protein-based drugs to target validated disease pathways in a unique and transformative way. Our pipeline includes inhalable Anticalin proteins to treat respiratory diseases, immuno-oncology multi-specifics tailored for the tumor microenvironment, and a half-life-optimized Anticalin protein to treat anemia. Proprietary to Pieris, Anticalin proteins are a novel class of therapeutics validated in the clinic and by partnerships with leading pharmaceutical companies.
To strengthen our team, we are looking for an experienced
(Senior) Scientist (m/f/d), Respiratory Disease
As an enthusiastic and self-motivated scientist, you will be involved in the discovery and preclinical development of novel respiratory disease focused therapeutics in areas such as Asthma, IPF, COPD etc. The purpose of the role is to drive the understanding of the biology of therapeutically relevant proteins and pathways in health and disease. You work effectively with other teams in the multidisciplinary matrix and with external partners. You will work in a dynamic drug discovery organization and perform cutting edge science to characterize the mechanism of action of our Anticalin drug candidates aimed at modifying respiratory disease.
- Be ‘Biological lead’ in respiratory focused project teams supporting discovery and preclinical development of novel drug candidates creating a common vision of Biology, Medical Need and Competition
- Drive development of in vitro and in vivo model systems for evaluation of novel Anticalin/Multicalin proteins in lung disease
- Characterization of functional activity (proliferation, cytokine release, intracellular signaling pathways)
- Experience in establishing Ex-vivo assay systems e.g. human PCLS and lung organoids to support translational preclinical activities and Biomarker strategy selection would be a great plus
- MOA analysis of drug candidates in vitro and in vivo
- Planning, coordination and execution of key experiments
- Define high level project plans for respiratory programs in close alignment with the project leader
- Pro-actively consult primary scientific publications to support analysis of mechanisms and pathways, contributing to the definition of new drug candidates. Keep current on state of art technologies and emerging concepts in the respiratory field
- Present results internally and externally
- PhD in immunology/ biological sciences or related scientific area
- Experience in the field of of inflammatory immune cell biology
- Proven team player with strong interpersonal skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Experience with MS office
We are a fast-growing biotechnology company with approximately 130 employees at our sites in Freising (Greater Munich Area) and Boston (USA). We work in flat hierarchies with short decision-making paths and offer a working environment characterized by cooperation and innovation. Each of our employees participates in a bonus program based on the achievement of individual and company-wide goals. In addition, we offer each employee the opportunity to participate in a stock savings plan and a stock option program that allows employees to benefit directly from the company's success.
Numerous social benefits such as additional employer-financed company health insurance, free drinks, fruit baskets etc. as well as a bright, friendly and ultra-modern working environment with excellent technical equipment in our new company building in Hallbergmoos (from January 2020) round off our overall package. Creative employee events take place several times a year, as team spirit is essential for us. The joint creation of an innovative and participative corporate culture is an important concern for us.