Pieris Pharmaceuticals (Nasdaq: PIRS) is a publicly-traded, clinical-stage biotechnology company with operations in Germany and the United States. Pieris specializes in the discovery and development of Anticalin® protein-based drugs to target validated disease pathways in a unique and transformative way. Our pipeline includes inhalable Anticalin proteins to treat respiratory diseases, immuno-oncology multi-specifics tailored for the tumor microenvironment, and a half-life-optimized Anticalin protein to treat anemia. Proprietary to Pieris, Anticalin proteins are a novel class of therapeutics validated in the clinic and by partnerships with leading pharmaceutical companies.
To strengthen our team, we are looking for an experienced:
Corporate Counsel (m/f/d)The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for a range of legal matters with a focus on corporate transactions and compliance activities at Pieris Pharmaceuticals’ research hub in the Munich, Germany area. Reporting to the General Counsel based in the United States, the Corporate Counsel will be the lead legal representative at Pieris’ research hub and will have frequent interactions with internal clients across multiple R&D programs and functional groups, including business development, finance and human resources.
- Negotiate a broad range of agreements of varying complexity (e.g. confidentiality, consulting, master services, clinical trial, manufacturing, and material transfer agreements) and provide pragmatic advice to business functions
- Serve as a partner to the business development team and the General Counsel in negotiation and execution of complex services agreements and licenses (e.g. cell line licenses, contract manufacturing agreements, in- and out- licensing of programs and IP, including co-development, co-commercialization and profit-sharing structures)
- Ensure effective contract lifecycle management, including drafting, negotiating, coordinating execution and storage of company agreement
- Ensure policies and practices in compliance with relevant labor and employment, corporate and privacy law in cooperation with internal and external partners, including oversight of outside counsel
- Manage disagreements and dispute resolution relating to transactions, especially with suppliers, contract manufacturers
- Identify changes in applicable laws, rules, regulations, standards, and as well as related trends relevant to the company
- Outstanding academic qualifications, including a law degree and active license to practice law
- 3+ years’ legal experience working in an international legal environment, either working at a biopharmaceutical company or with biotechnology clients
- High degree of independence, initiative and decisiveness but also desire to be challenged and think outside the box
- Strong transactional background dealing with a range of commercial contracts, experience in clinical trial agreements and activities is a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to act as business partner to senior management
- Excellent teamwork, communication and cross-cultural skills, as well as a customer and solution-oriented mentality
- Excellent German and English language skills including the ability to draft and negotiate contracts in both languages
We are a fast-growing biotechnology company with approximately 130 employees at our sites in Freising (Greater Munich Area) and Boston (USA). We work in flat hierarchies with short decision-making paths and offer a working environment characterized by cooperation and innovation. Each of our employees participates in a bonus program based on the achievement of individual and company-wide goals. In addition, we offer each employee the opportunity to participate in a stock savings plan and a stock option program that allows employees to benefit directly from the company's success.
Numerous social benefits such as additional employer-financed company health insurance, free drinks, fruit baskets etc. as well as a bright, friendly and ultra-modern working environment with excellent technical equipment in our new company building in Hallbergmoos (from February 2020) round off our overall package. Creative employee events take place several times a year, as team spirit is essential for us. The joint creation of an innovative and participative corporate culture is an important concern for us.